If you’d like to extend your Sirens experience, we hope you’ll join us for the Sirens Studio on October 23-24, 2018! Over two days prior to the official start of the conference, studio participants will attend their choice of workshop intensives, and new in 2018, a Studio attendees-only faculty reception.
While Sirens is terrific, it can be hectic: so many people to see, conversations to have, and not nearly enough time to grab a seat by the fire and just read. Sirens Studio, however, gives you both what you love about Sirens and that down time that we all need: small-group workshop intensives led by exceptional faculty in the morning; flexible time to read, write, or relax in the afternoon; and a film screening at night.
The 2018 Studio will feature eight intensives, all led by extraordinary faculty on topics related to reading, writing, and career development. For the full biographies and summaries, please click on any faculty member name or workshop title below.
- Dr. Kinitra D. Brooks, Finding Sycorax: Highlighting Complex Black Women Characters in Genre
- Zoraida Córdova, The Latinx Myth
- Justina Ireland, Taking the Castle: Understanding Power Structures in Fantasy and Fiction
- s.e. smith, Diversity on Fire: Developing a More Informed Diversity Framework
- K. Tempest Bradford, Description and “The Other”
- Anne Ursu, Make Narnia Great Again: Propaganda and Power in Fantasy
- Dr. Andrea Horbinski, Taking the Off-Ramp: Strategies and Practices for Changing Careers (Especially for Academics)
- The topic of our second career development intensive will be available soon.
Tickets are $100 for the full two days of the Studio and available to registered Sirens attendees. The Sirens Shuttle will be available on the evening of Monday, October 22, to facilitate Sirens Studio attendees’ transportation to the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek.
If you think you might like to join us, please purchase your ticket here!
In order to keep the experience conversational and somewhat intimate, we are limiting the number of Sirens Studio tickets to 65. If you have any questions or concerns, please write to us at (help at sirensconference.org).